Hi there, and welcome to my little corner of the internet! I’m Sarah, and I am (in no particular order):
- A 28-year-old Chicago resident
- A full-time code-monkey by day and internet time-waster by night
- Mom to a wonderful little girl named Lillian
- Wife to a wonderful man named Joe
- A homeowner and wanna-be DIY’er
This blog is a house-blog / mommy-blog hybrid that began in May 2011, with inspiration coming from two major life changes that we plunged into at around the same time:
- A baby on the way.
- The purchase of our first home.
When the blog began the baby was still a bun in the oven, and the closing on the house hadn’t even happened yet — but the general idea was to start blogging about this adventure into parenthood and homeownership from the very beginning, sharing whatever I happened to learn and experience along the way.
What topics will you find on this blog?
While there may be a certain amount of randomness and tales from everyday life thrown into the mix, most of the posts here on this blog tend to fall into one of the following general areas:
- Adventures (and misadventures) in fixing up a 1920’s Chicago Bungalow — We closed on the house in June 2011 (which already feels like ages ago!) Check out the house page for more info on the state it was in then, and what we’ve been doing to it since. Ongoing blog posts about various house-related things can also be found in the house category.
- Experiencing pregnancy – Throughout 2011 I documented my first pregnancy, including the various milestones, ups and downs, and random things I learned (sometimes the hard way). Starting in March of 2014, I began doing the same with my second pregnancy — all of these posts can be found in the pregnancy category.
- Parenting a baby (and later on, a toddler) — Our daughter Lillian made her debut in October 2011, and time has been flying by since then! The story of her first year (including a condensed recap of the pregnancy) can be found on this page, and other bloggings about milestones and related subjects can be found in the baby category and the toddler category.
- Musings (or rants?) about various things — Since starting this blog, I’ve found myself becoming increasingly interested in the amount of pressure, guilt, and fear-mongering that parents (and moms in particular) are bombarded with by the media and society at large. You can read my thoughts on some of these things in this category.
- Crafts, decorating, and (sometimes pitiful) attempts to DIY things — I’ve come to terms with the fact that this isn’t really my strong suit, but I can’t help it — sometimes I can’t resist trying my hand at a cute craft project inspired by Pinterest, and sometimes they even turn out reasonably okay. But don’t take my word for it — check out the arts & crafts category to decide for yourself.
Frequently Asked Questions
I don’t get a ton of questions submitted by visitors, but there are a couple that have come up more than once — and so in the interest of saving time and making things easier for everybody, I figured I’d try to answer them here:
Will you promote my website / book / product on your blog?
Probably not. This blog has never been the type to do sponsored posts, giveaways, reviews, or other attempts at marketing or monetization — and while I do sometimes write about our experiences with products or companies, it has only been in a spontaneous kind of way (which means you’ll hear the good as well as the bad). I don’t expect this to change anytime soon.
Do you have any contractor recommendations for around the Chicago area?
Not really — I’ve linked to the websites of some of the companies and contractors we’ve worked with in posts discussing various work and improvements we’ve had done, but beyond those, I don’t have any additional recommendations to offer, unfortunately. Sorry. :(
Have another question not answered above? Feel free to contact me!
Want to follow along?
If you’ve made it this far and still want to keep reading, great! Here are a couple of ways to follow along with the blog:
- Subscribe to the RSS Feed
- Like on Facebook
- Follow on Twitter
- Subscribe by email (via the form in the right sidebar)
Thanks for visiting!