In the wake of my Easter Egg inspiration post, which had a whole bunch of creative and fun Easter Egg ideas that I’d found via Pinterest, I wanted to try out a couple of those interesting techniques! One that I found particularly intriguing was the concept of “blown out” eggs, where instead of hard-boiling the eggs, you hollow out the contents while they’re still raw.
So I tried it out using this tutorial from Our Best Bites, and I was actually surprised at how smoothly it went. I guess I always imagined that if you tried to stick a pin in an egg, the whole thing would just crack, but it was remarkably easy to make a small controlled hole in the shell. And in no time I had a dozen hollow egg shells:
So that was fun new technique number one! For number two, I cut out some shapes out of painters tape and stuck them on each of the eggs. Deciding on the shapes was fun, and I ended up using a variety of geometric shapes, as well as letters and numbers, and a smiley face. Here are the eggs with the painters tape:
Then for coloring the eggs, I just used one of those typical store-bought egg coloring kits, where you dissolve a tablet in a cup of water or vinegar (I opted for the vinegar since that supposedly produces more vibrant colors).
One thing I learned from this exercise is that painters tape probably wasn’t designed to be submerged in a bath of vinegar for any length of time. I seemed to get better results with leaving them in for shorter periods, and the broader, wider shapes generally seemed to work out better than the thinner letters and numbers (and the smiley face fell off altogether). I also tried re-dipping a few of the eggs in different colors after removing the tape, with mixed results. Below is a view of all of the eggs after coloring:
Once they were dry, I tried using this tutorial to coat them in Mod Podge inside and out, which allegedly makes the hollow eggs super durable and almost like plastic. I think I did it wrong, though (in retrospect, my layer of Mod Podge was probably too thin to achieve that level of strength) or more likely, there’s no technique to make something that was once an egg shell survive contact with a toddler. Because yeah… Lillian tossed one at the kitchen floor and it just broke into a bunch of pieces.
But on the plus side, she seemed to enjoy the bright colors and shapes for the brief period of playing with them! And overall was a fun little project that I was glad to have been able to try out, especially since it was kind of a last-minute thing started the evening before Easter.
And that concludes the last of the belated Easter posts here on this blog (huzzah!) — stay tuned for some outdoorsy spring-themed posts to follow shortly!