I’ve been known to switch things up around here every so often when it comes to the design and layout of the blog — but I think this one takes the cake as the biggest makeover yet! It’s been almost a year since the last time I made any serious changes, so I guess I’m making up for lost time now. Because everything has gotten an update, from the design to the title itself.
Updating the title was an idea I’d been kicking around for a while. When I first started this blog back in 2011, one of the few things I knew was that I wanted to set it up with a self-hosted WordPress install, since I’m a code-monkey and love to tinker with things. So I searched for a domain that was still available, and settled on freestylehomelife.com, and really liked it for a while. But over time it began to feel stale, and something about it just didn’t quite seem to convey what the blog was about or how it got started.
The new title attempts to do that a little better, though a few quick notes on that are in order:
- I’m aware of the irony of making this change when Lillian is already on the brink of not being a “baby” anymore. But even if she gets to be a preschooler or kindergartener with no younger siblings in sight, it still seems like a fitting title since it recalls to mind a big part of how this blog got started: talking about baby plans and preparations from the very beginning.
- I really liked being able to work “bungalow” into the title as well, as opposed to the more generic reference to a home. Our 1920’s Chicago bungalow has so much personality, and it’s nice to have the title reflect a bit of that.
Despite the new look and new title, rest assured that it’s still the same blog with all the same content! The new design even has a lot of similarities to the old one in terms of the overall look and color scheme, though it’s generally been simplified and cleaned up a lot. Most of the fancy fonts have gone away in favor of more standard ones, and it should work pretty consistently in Internet Explorer going back to version 7. The header also got a makeover to hopefully make it easier to navigate around the site.
And now for a few quick technical notes on the domain switch:
- I’ve set up 301 redirects, so all incoming links should still work and just be seamlessly redirected to the new domain. The same should apply to any bookmarks.
- The RSS feed should continue working as before, so if you’ve subscribed you shouldn’t see any kind of disruption there.
- I’m currently in the process of switching over the email subscriptions, but there may be some hiccups with that — I should have a better handle on that within a few days after this change.
On the technical side of things I’ve tried my best to make this one of those barely-even-noticeable changes, but if you see anything that looks broken or amiss around the site, feel free to leave a comment or drop me a line using the contact form and I’ll look into it.
Anyway, that’s the scoop on the biggest makeover the blog has gotten since it started, and probably the biggest one it will ever get unless I really go crazy one of these days. I hope you all like it, and your regularly scheduled bloggings will resume shortly with a couple of “real” posts over the next few days!