Welcome to the latest domestic-themed blog to clutter the internet tubes! To give a bit of background, I was inspired to start this blog by two major life changes that happen to be hitting at around the same time:
- A baby on the way. It’s our first, and my husband and I are pretty excited about it. (In that nervous kind of way I suspect all soon-to-be parents are.) Since I’m still towards the beginning of the second trimester, there’s quite a ways to go, and lots of planning and preparation ahead of us.
- The purchase of our first home. This was largely motivated by Major Life Change #1, since for the past few years we’d been living in a small one-bedroom apartment that would be a little hard-pressed to accommodate a baby. The new house is a traditional Chicago bungalow, cozy and well-maintained but generally in need of some cosmetic updates.
So given the timing of these two events, I thought it would be interesting to write a blog about this whole new “parenthood and homeownership” adventure, starting here at the very beginning. It’ll be a combination of my firsthand experiences as well as sharing what I learn and research along the way.
And as crazy as it may sound with everything going on, there’s so much I’m hoping to do in the next few months. Some potential topics for future blog posts include:
- Nutrition and health during pregnancy
- Reflections on the home buying process
- Nursery design and baby budgeting
- Gardening and landscaping within the confines of a narrow city lot
- Separating the science from the myths on childbirth and SIDS
- Updating a usable but tired and worn-out kitchen
And I’m sure all this only scratches the surface of subjects that are likely to crop up as the journey continues.
Anyway, stay tuned for some actual non-introductory content to be posted soon!